|February 1, 2017||No Comments|
You’ve got your brand new website up and running—congratulations!
It’s a great feeling to have a website established, but now you have to get visitors. And a big part of getting traffic is through employing proper Search Engine Optimization (SEO) practices.
SEO represents the website best practices, tweaks, and tricks that will increase your site’s credibility in the eyes of Google and other search engines—and potentially lead to its placement on the first page of search results!
With the importance of SEO made clear, let’s take a look at these 6 top tips for wild SEO rankings:
1. Practice Smart Keyword Inclusion
Be sure to include the keywords you want to rank for throughout your content.
Do include your keywords in your headlines and near the beginning of your first paragraph, whenever possible.
Don’t inorganically/unnaturally stick your keyword all over the place within your post. This is known as “keyword stuffing,” and search engines are smart enough to penalize you for it.
2. Always Include Meta Tags
Meta tags are text snippets that only appear in a web page’s code. These tags are used to describe the content of the pages to search engines for ranking purposes.
Thus, meta tags serve to improve SEO. And the better your SEO, the more frequently Google’s spyders may crawl your site. (And that’s a good thing!)
The three major meta tags for SEO purposes are title tags, description tags, and keywords tags. You’ll want to ensure your site is taking advantage of each. In fact, you’ll notice meta descriptions as the descriptions, or captions, under the title of a website in Google’s search results.
Here’s a handy resource for adding meta tags to your website.
3. Repurpose Old Content in New Ways
Feeling a bit of writer’s block? You can use old content in new ways and still increase SEO.
Consider taking an old YouTube video and creating a blog post that offers a written transcription of its content. Or, maybe you have an interesting infographic from an internal business meeting that may be intriguing to outside audiences—make a new blog post centered around it!
4. Use a SEO Plugin
Running a WordPress installation to support your website? Great! There’s a couple wonderful WordPress SEO plugins you can install that will help automate the process of increasing SEO on your website:
1. Yoast SEO: Our personal favorite, Yoast SEO uses its Page Analysis functionality to check for all the SEO optimized tricks you may have forgotten to include. Have you included images with alt tags? Do you have a focus keyword? Does your post have subheadings and a meta description? Yoast checks for all of this and gives you a friendly reminder if you’ve stumbled.
2. All in One SEO Pack: One of the most downloaded WordPress plugins ever, All in One SEO Pack helps you improve SEO through generating automatic meta tags, optimizing page titles, automatically notifying search engines about site changes, and offering built-in Google Analytics support.
5. Use Google My Business
This one’s super simple—ensure you have your business listed with Google! Learn about Google My Business.
6. Use Google Webmaster Tools
Google Webmaster Tools include the data, diagnostics, and tools necessary to ensure your website is optimized for Google.
Once utilized, Google Webmaster Tools will automatically review your site for any “site health” issues, aid in increasing SEO, and keep you abreast of how users are discovering your site. We’ll have more on Google Webmaster Tools in a separate blog soon, so stick with us!