Looking to the future of content marketing strategy and the need for more visually creative, data-informed and cross platform content that’s highly specialized for our audience, it’s clear that simply creating ‘more’ content isn’t the answer.
Paton’s team is not the only one in that assessment after having the opportunity to discuss pressing content marketing challenges with a group of CMOs and senior marketing executives recently.
We think brand marketers are faced with the need to create more meaningful content for the right audience at the right time and in a relevant, meaningful way. Content needs to be compelling and serve the interests of customers as well as the brand. Reaching that goal requires a focus in strategy and at the same time, in order to stand out, marketers need to differentiate.
Here are the four ways in which you can attack:
1. Discover , Consume, Take Action – Make Content Buyer-Centric
- Understand customer segments and the information journey: What is it, how does it work, how does it solve?
Not brand, brand, brand!
- How do your customers discover solutions?
- Search, social, subscriptions, events, influencers?
- What are your customer preferences for content consumption?
- Visual, audio, text, interactive, long form and short form.
2. Connect With Influencers – See The Increment In Figures On The Graph
- Identify influencers with active communities – action is influence, not popularity.
- Co-create content with influencers for mutual goals – promote to their audiences.
- Help people become influential through community content co-creation.
3. Increase Efficiency With Modular Content
- Create content plans with matrix topics by segment and the buying stage.
- Use micro content for social media platforms, further compile them into blog posts, eBooks, newsletters and presentations.
- Break large content down into micro content and re-purpose. e-Books to blog posts, Videos to Images and Blog posts to Presentations are just few ideas.
4. Attract, Engage, Convert – Make Content Accountable
- Ensure all content assets are accountable for some level of performance.
- Attract – It is the first step of discovery. Go ahead with extensive research, socialize online and make referrals.
- Engage – Keep a tab on content consumption and make sure you record your customer experience, social shares, conversations. It always encourages to make you work better in future.
- Convert – Conversion of the captured data such as registration information, subscriptions and the transactions which took place is the best form of data to create a highly credible content.