How To Create Great Videos On A Budget
Today, I wanted to talk about how to create content on a budget.
As you know, video is extremely important, especially for your business.
Nowadays, we consume content 24/7 and everywhere we go. We are always on our phones, either reading, watching videos, or trying to connect with friends. That’s why creating content is so important for your business, particularly for branding and marketing. One easy (or great) way to connect with people, clients, or customers is through Video Blogs (vlogs).
Vlogs are great. Not only do they allow you to connect with people, but you can also interact with them; answering their questions and hearing their concerns. But most importantly, vlogs are a great way to share. Vlogs are also very inexpensive and easy to make. You can do it in your office, your living room, the kitchen. Anywhere!
So, what do you need to make a vlog?
Obviously, you’re going to need a camera. But if you don’t have a fancy camera, don’t worry. As Maati Haappoja said, “If you are saying that’s way too expensive, then maybe you don’t need it”. For a vlog, all you need is your phone, a microphone and good content to share! Phones these days have great video quality, and they’re consistently getting better.
I got this kit:
I got a tripod for my phone. I liked this one because it comes with a ring light, which will add better quality to your videos. I also got this microphone that can connect directly to your phone for better audio.
And for those of you who own an Android phone, here’s an option that might work for you. There are plenty of other options out there, so feel free to do some research and find something that works for you.
Let’s check it out!
How to Assemble the Equipment
- Open the tripod.
- Screw in the light on top of the tripod.
- Place your phone in the holder.
- Clip the microphone to your shirt and hide the cable underneath.
- Connect the microphone to your phone.
And you’re ready to go!
Tips to Make Your Vlog Look Professional
Here are some tips to make your vlogs look professional.
- A good reference to position your phone is your eye level. Put the camera in front of your eyes. Not too high. Not too low.
- Position yourself in the middle of the frame.
- The space between your head and the top edge of the screen is called “headroom”. Make sure there’s not too much headroom but don’t cut off the top of your head!
- When you’re talking to somebody in person, generally, you look them in the eyes. In this case, you want your vlogs to be personal. To do that, make sure you look directly at the camera, not at yourself on the screen. I know it may be hard sometimes, but this way it’ll feel like you’re talking directly to the audience.
- The background says a lot about your environment. It can make your video interesting, but it can also make it boring or distracting. So, if you can choose your background, make sure it’s a nice environment that is clean and organized. Keep an eye out for things that might be distracting like garbage, a game playing on a TV, someone being nosy; anything that could distract the viewer from what you’re saying.
- Sound is extremely important. You want your audience to hear you clearly. An external microphone will help give you better sound quality.
- Make sure your location is quiet and doesn’t have too much background noise like people talking or music. Music shouldn’t be recorded with your voice. It should be added later to enhance the quality of your video.
- Figure out where you will be posting your video before you record it. Different platforms require different formats. Vlogs for YouTube, LinkedIn, and your website should be recorded horizontally. If you’re planning to post on IGTV or on your Instagram story, you might want to record vertically or portrait. If you’re posting on Instagram, the “square” setting might be your best choice. But if you’re not sure, your safest choice is to record horizontally, or landscape – it’s the standard format for video.
Vlogs are a great way to communicate with people and a powerful tool for your business. It’ll help you connect with the community, share experiences and knowledge, and let people know about you and your company.
At Paton Marketing, everybody on our team has one of these kits and we’re constantly creating content to share with you.
I hope you found this helpful. We would love to see what you guys do and how you create content for your business.